Bostik 17/18- a season in review: January

By Ian Townsend

It was...cold. It was also damp. Did we mention it was cold?

On the pitch

January, and after a number of matches were called off on New Years Day we finally got a full programme on Saturday 6th. The match of the day was at Champion Hill, and first place Dulwich Hamlet extended their lead over Billericay Town to five points with a 4-3 victory over third place Folkestone Invicta, whilst AFC Hornchurch and Lewes remained top in the North and South.

Haringey Borough were in the news once more, keeper Austin Byfield scoring a winner for them against Aveley from his own penalty area, whilst our #bostikmatchday feature saw Lewes maintain their momentum with a late- and perhaps undeserved- victory at Chipstead.

Mickel Miller

Mickel Miller

As we reached the last Saturday of the month Hamlet were still top, but by this point their lead was only two points, Billericay Town walloping six past Tooting and Mitcham United. The Urchins went ten points clear in the North Division with victory over Norwich United, whilst Lewes remained top in the South- although Whyteleafe were putting in the performance of the day, smashing eight goals past nine-man East Grinstead Town.

Billericay were top by month end, beating Worthing 4-0 on 31st.

Off the pitch

Gary Alexander left Greenwich Borough- he told us why, here; whilst another managerial move saw Craig Edwards, who had been at Ware for at least twenty minutes, move to their rivals Cheshunt, allowing us to use the headline 'Ware's Craig' for the second time in a month because it was easier than thinking up a new one. Storm Eleanor- that was nothing to do with Craig, we hasten to add- caused havoc, attempting to blow away Waltham Abbey.

The Muddy Boot Snack Bar- chips with mayo available, in case you think you're in Belgium.

The Muddy Boot Snack Bar- chips with mayo available, in case you think you're in Belgium.

Ware then replaced Craig Edwards with John Dreyer and Paul Halsey, whilst Greenwich named Ashford United coach Paul Barnes as the replacement for Alexander, who went to Ashford. Confused? So were we! Sam Denly replaced Clive Cook at Hythe Town, and Carshalton Athletic striker Mickel Miller headed north then kept going, signing for Hamilton Academicals.

Nick Davis resigned from his post at Sittingbourne after a run of only two wins from eleven matches. Aslan Odev became his temporary and then permanent replacement.

Kingstonian, sharing with Leatherhead, announced that next season's groundshare would be at Corinthian-Casuals, taking them back to the Borough that they call home.

Where next?

Fleet sail, Romania climb aboard Last minute changes to the constitution
Bostik 17/18- a season in review: December Christmas! A time for...even more football than usual- when the weather didn't get in the way (clue- it did. Regularly.)

Match centre

Latest photos

The BetVictor Isthmian League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.