Confirm your age. Are you 18 or over?

Towners take top-billing- whilst Bowers and Ambers pick up their first Premier victories

By Ian Townsend

We had goals, action and surprises in the Premier Division last night. Here’s our round up.

Bishop’s Stortford started the season with an impressive victory over Bognor Regis Town, and last night travelled to Enfield Town hoping for more of the same. What they got instead, not to put too fine a point on it, was a walloping.

The Towners have recruited shrewdly during the summer, adding gloss to a team that, despite winning the Velocity Trophy, perhaps underachieved last season. Last night it all came together, as they struck five goals past Blues keeper Fred Burbidge.

It was two-nil after five minutes, Ken Charles and Sam Youngs putting their side in the driving seat. Eleven minutes later it was three, Billy Bricknell getting his first of the campaign, and nine minutes before the break Charles made it four- his third goal in two matches. Stortford had a less damaging second half, but were reduced to ten men seventeen minutes from time as Luke Callendar was dismissed for a foul on Youngs. That gave the home side the impetus to get another, substitute Junior Mubiayi making it five a few minutes from time.

Enfield are up to third, but they are still two points behind second place Haringey Borough, who have put worries about the nature of their much changed squad behind them by winning their first two games. Last night they were at Leatherhead, and left Fetcham Grove with the points courtesy of a three-two victory. Goal machine Chid Onokwai put Borough ahead from the spot on seventeen minutes, but another spot kick from Eddie Dsane levelled things up just before the break. In the second half Romoluwa Akinola and Jorge Djassi -Sambu made an away victory almost certain, and although Daniel Gallagher got a goal back four minutes from time to make the closing stages interesting, Borough were not to be denied.

Borough remain behind East Thurrock United- who won on Monday night- on goal difference, and Folkestone Invicta have the chance to overhaul both of them if they can win at Cray Wanderers tonight.

North Division champions Bowers & Pitsea are up to fourth place with four points, picking up three of them at Brightlingsea Regent- and scoring four goals in the process. David Knight put Bowers ahead from the spot only to see Jordan Barnett equalise for Regent on the stroke of half time; but after the break the traffic was one way, Benjamin Sartain, Lewis Manor and Bradley Warner (penalty) making it four-one before Romario Dunne reduced the arrears five minutes from time, making the final score 2-4 in favour of the visitors.

Hornchurch are fifth, but the Urchins twice had to come from behind at home to Margate to earn a point. Kadell Daniel twice put the visitors ahead, only for Chris Dickson and Lewwis Spence to draw the hosts level.

In our first Sussex derby of the night, Worthing moved up to seventh place with a three-one victory over Lewes. It might be suggested that a second yellow card for the Rooks Stefan Ilic just before the break eased the way for the Mackerel Men, but the side in red were two goals up by then, Alex Parsons with a brace. Jordy Mongoy got one back six minutes into the second half, but Darren Budd had already grabbed Worthing’s third so it turned out to be no more than a consolation. One thousand, one hundred and fifty spectators turned out at Woodside Road.

Cheshunt had a difficult start to their life in the Premier Division on Saturday as they lost to East Thurrock United, but they found Potters Bar Town much more to their liking. The incredibly tall Brian Moses got their first after thirty one minutes, and when Tom Hitchcock got the second just before the break it turned out to be game over. The Ambers are now tenth, just behind the Scholars on goal difference.

Rob O’Toole scored for the second successive match as Horsham took the lead at Bognor Regis Town, but they couldn’t hold on for victory, newly signed Rocks striker Tyrell Mitford coming off the bench to save his side with a goal twelve minutes from time. The Hornets sit twelfth, the Rocks are eighteenth.

Last season’s playoff finalists Merstham picked up their first victory of the season at Corinthian-Casuals. Omar Folkes put the visitors ahead after only seven minutes, and that turned out to be the only goal of the game.

Finally, many of that Merstham playoff side now ply their trade at Kingstonian, and the K’s fell behind early on at Wingate & Finchley, Tommy Tejan-Sie scoring a third minute thunderbolt. Two first half yellow cards for Ahmed Rifat- both coming within five minutes of each other- saw the home side reduced to ten men, and the K’s were able to take advantage- although it still took an own goal to earn them a point.

Where next?

A Hertford horde A collection of signings for Hertford Town
Blues sign NINE! Wingate & Finchley announce NINE new signings -just prior to taking on Kingstonian

The BetVictor Isthmian League newsletter

Keep up-to-date with our exclusive email newsletters.